3 Viking Settlements To Learn More About Viking Age

Posted by Ms Elly on

3 Viking Settlements To Learn More About Viking Age

Back to the medieval age, people would ride on a horse or set sail across the ocean to reach new lands, which was definitely time-consuming. Some people went to other lands to colonize, to learn, or to bring advancements to other people. The reasons why the Vikings set sail varied, but what we cannot deny is that the Vikings once became an influential force in many arenas, political and economical. 

What we know about the Vikings through the media is a group of warriors with horned helmets pillaging and destroying villages across the globe. But that's quite subjective viewpoint. While the majority of the Vikings were farmers, they always wanted to settle down. And with the settlements and the intangible legacy that the Vikings left, we have to change that mentioned subjective viewpoint, definitely. 

Below are three Viking settlements that deserve a visit. 

Orkney, Scotland. 

Orkney Vikings

For a long time, Orkney is an ideal archaeological spot for those who are interested in the Viking Age. In Orkney, Scotland, they found a small wooden bucket and ladle with non-Viking decoration. This made us to believe that the Vikings once exposed to other religions. 

Also in Skei, Orkney, a grave of a woman who came from Anglo-Saxon was found. Further evidence was a comb made from reindeer antler. The problem here is that reindeer are not found in the Northern Isles. 

Anglo-Saxon comb found in Orkney

Comb found in Orkney

Overall, the Vikings are now considered to be the polytheists who worship many gods. That's why they could easily tolerate other religions and live harmoniously with it. Archaeological evidence found in Orkney just backed this up. 

Kaupang, Norway. 

Kaupang reconstruction in Viking Age

Viking Kaupang was near the harbor where ships from other regions could come and do business with the Vikings. 

Indeed, we cannot miss Kaupang whenever it comes to Viking places that deserve a visit. 

Kaupang was among few places in Scandinavia that marked the traces of Viking towns. According to historians, 90% of the Vikings had small settlements. However, what the archaeologists found in Kaupang revealed the other 10%. 

In Kaupang, they found evidence of permanent buildings which could last through winter. These structures were different from tent-filled settlements. There was evidence of trade in the town as well. However, the town was abandoned after decades. 

Roskilde Fjord, Denmark.

One of the places to learn about Viking shipbuilding techniques must be Roskilde Fjord. 

Around the 1960s, Vikings once again made the headlines. That is, five Viking ships were unearthed. They all dated back to the 11th century. What made them interesting was that the Vikings let the ships sink deliberately. 

Viking ship Skuldelev

Viking Skuldelev Ship I is now in museum

What aroused public interest was to learn more about Viking ship building techniques. These Skuldelev ships inspired modern shipbuilders to start working on building a replica of Viking Skuldelev ship. 

Older Post Newer Post

Recent Articles


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published